Skip to main content

But maybe that is the dangerous part of loving people. We begin to believe their presence is permanent simply because they have always been there. And lately, I've been thinking about the people I have tried to reach but couldn't quite find my way back to. The people who remain somewhere in my heart, even when we no longer know how to be in each other's lives. Perhaps this is what growing older teaches us, that not every relationship will be saved. The sibling we no longer speak to. A friend we keep meaning to call. Someone we love, but somewhere along the way, we simply drift apart. We live as though there will always be another chance. Another birthday. Another visit home. Another “I miss you.” Another opportunity to say, “I'm sorry we let so much time pass.” We tell ourselves there is still time. We assume there will be time to mend things. Time to try again. Until one day, there isn't. Still, I don't think this means we should spend our lives chasing people who have chosen to walk away. I've tried that. And sadly, I learned that sometimes, you can reach out with all the love you have and still be left holding your own hand. Yet while there is still time, we can choose to knock. And when we have knocked enough, perhaps we can leave the door unlocked and make peace with the fact that the rest was never ours to decide. All we can do is make sure we have said what needed to be said while we still had the chance. Because none of us knows which goodbye will be the last one we never got to say. M. | August 2026


from Chocolate & Thoughts https://ift.tt/DaTFl7U
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I met my twenty-year-old self and said, "I can finally afford all the books you used to stand in the library holding for a little too long. The ones you memorized from the back covers because buying them was out of the question. The ones you promised yourself you would own someday." She smiled. Then she glanced at her phone. "Dad's waiting outside." In that moment, I felt the distance between her life and mine all at once. M. June 2026

from Chocolate & Thoughts https://ift.tt/5UrbdXQ via IFTTT

Perhaps the part of what's frightening me is not only the pain I'm feeling now. It's also the pain I'm not feeling. I keep looking at that wall and wondering what it's holding back. If this is how much I hurt with it still standing, what happens if it comes down? The thought follows me everywhere. It sits beside me at work. It waits for me in the quiet. It gnaws at whatever sanity I have left. But what if my mind is not storing all of this grief behind a dam waiting to burst? What if it is already doing what minds are designed to do? What if it is carrying the weight the same way a river carries rain. Not all at once, but as it comes. A little when I cried during my lunch break. A little when a song catches me off guard. A little when I am alone with my coffee and there is no one to distract me from myself. A little when a memory drifts across my mind without warning. Perhaps the wall is not hiding a flood. Perhaps it is simply teaching the water how to pass through me without drowning me. Not all at once. Just enough for today. M. June 2026

from Chocolate & Thoughts https://ift.tt/GcUjDxb via IFTTT

Father's Day always arrives carrying two versions of time. One tells me it has been eleven years. The other tells me it was only yesterday. I have lived entire chapters of my life without you. I have grown older. I have become someone you never got the chance to meet. There are stories I still wish I could tell you. Small things. Important things. Ordinary things that somehow matter because they happened to me. And every Father's Day, I find myself reaching across a distance that cannot be crossed. I wonder what you would think of the person I am now. I wonder if you would be proud. I hope you would be. I hope you would see how hard I have tried. How I kept going on days when I wanted to stop. How I carried the lessons you left behind, even when I was afraid, I might forget the sound of your voice. The truth is, I still miss you. Not only in the big moments. Not only in the milestones. I miss you in the quiet parts of life. When something good happens and I wish I could tell you. When something hurts and I wish I could hear you say my name. When I see fathers and daughters together and feel that familiar ache return. Eleven years later, love has not disappeared. It has simply changed shape. It lives now in memories. In photographs. In stories. In the person I became because you were once here. And today, more than anything, I hope you knew how much you were loved. Happy Father's Day, Dad. I miss you still. And I think I always will. M. 21 June 2026

from Chocolate & Thoughts https://ift.tt/s1ovpS0 via IFTTT