Skip to main content

It has not been a particularly kind week for me. There have been too many things happening at once, multiple breakdowns, and all I could do was put one foot in front of the other and get through the day. And after a week like this, I found myself craving something ordinary. A stupid joke. Talking and laughing over something silly with someone I love. Just some hours where I don't have to think about what went wrong, what still needs fixing, or what tomorrow might bring. A few hours where the noise in my head can have a rest. Maybe you know that feeling too. When we are struggling, it is easy to believe that we have to remain in the storm until we have figured out how to get out of it. We think we have to have the difficult conversations, make sense of our feelings, and put our lives back in order before we are allowed to breathe again. But perhaps we don't. Sometimes, you can have a terrible week and still decide to have a lovely evening. You can still find a little softness in the middle of all that heaviness. You can still let yourself breathe, even though there are things waiting to be figured out. The storm is still there when the laughter ends. But for those few hours, perhaps you don't have to stand in the rain. Maybe that is what I needed. Not another answer. Not another conversation about everything that is sitting in my head. Just a little normalcy. A little distraction from a week that asked too much of me. So if you are having a difficult week too, I hope you let yourself breathe a little. Take the coffee. Watch the ridiculous movie. Laugh with someone you love. Talk about something completely unimportant just because you can. You are allowed to have a good hour in the middle of a bad week. And I believe this isn't running away from what hurts. It is simply giving yourself enough room to feel calm before you face it again. M. | August 2026


from Chocolate & Thoughts https://ift.tt/2bfnpUZ
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I met my twenty-year-old self and said, "I can finally afford all the books you used to stand in the library holding for a little too long. The ones you memorized from the back covers because buying them was out of the question. The ones you promised yourself you would own someday." She smiled. Then she glanced at her phone. "Dad's waiting outside." In that moment, I felt the distance between her life and mine all at once. M. June 2026

from Chocolate & Thoughts https://ift.tt/5UrbdXQ via IFTTT

Perhaps the part of what's frightening me is not only the pain I'm feeling now. It's also the pain I'm not feeling. I keep looking at that wall and wondering what it's holding back. If this is how much I hurt with it still standing, what happens if it comes down? The thought follows me everywhere. It sits beside me at work. It waits for me in the quiet. It gnaws at whatever sanity I have left. But what if my mind is not storing all of this grief behind a dam waiting to burst? What if it is already doing what minds are designed to do? What if it is carrying the weight the same way a river carries rain. Not all at once, but as it comes. A little when I cried during my lunch break. A little when a song catches me off guard. A little when I am alone with my coffee and there is no one to distract me from myself. A little when a memory drifts across my mind without warning. Perhaps the wall is not hiding a flood. Perhaps it is simply teaching the water how to pass through me without drowning me. Not all at once. Just enough for today. M. June 2026

from Chocolate & Thoughts https://ift.tt/GcUjDxb via IFTTT

Father's Day always arrives carrying two versions of time. One tells me it has been eleven years. The other tells me it was only yesterday. I have lived entire chapters of my life without you. I have grown older. I have become someone you never got the chance to meet. There are stories I still wish I could tell you. Small things. Important things. Ordinary things that somehow matter because they happened to me. And every Father's Day, I find myself reaching across a distance that cannot be crossed. I wonder what you would think of the person I am now. I wonder if you would be proud. I hope you would be. I hope you would see how hard I have tried. How I kept going on days when I wanted to stop. How I carried the lessons you left behind, even when I was afraid, I might forget the sound of your voice. The truth is, I still miss you. Not only in the big moments. Not only in the milestones. I miss you in the quiet parts of life. When something good happens and I wish I could tell you. When something hurts and I wish I could hear you say my name. When I see fathers and daughters together and feel that familiar ache return. Eleven years later, love has not disappeared. It has simply changed shape. It lives now in memories. In photographs. In stories. In the person I became because you were once here. And today, more than anything, I hope you knew how much you were loved. Happy Father's Day, Dad. I miss you still. And I think I always will. M. 21 June 2026

from Chocolate & Thoughts https://ift.tt/s1ovpS0 via IFTTT